A private Christian institution located in West Palm Beach, Florida, Palm Beach Atlantic University seeks a forward-thinking and strategic Dean of Admissions to lead the enrollment efforts in the offices of traditional undergraduate admissions (TUG) and graduate, evening and online admissions (GEO), in accordance with the University mission.
Reporting to the Vice President for Admissions, the Dean of Admissions must promote Palm Beach Atlantic’s distinctly Christian college environment where people are guided by their Christian values. The selected candidate will serve on several committees including the new programs committee, the retention committee, and the strategic enrollment committee. The dean will foster a “recruit to retain” philosophy to improve retention rates; collaborate widely and represent the admissions office to internal and external constituencies; and instill confidence in the policies and procedures for recruitment and admissions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The primary duties and responsibilities of the Dean of Admissions are as follows:
- Identify opportunities in order to attract an academically talented and diverse student body that includes traditional and non-traditional undergraduate, graduate, adult, online, transfer and international students.
- Build, enhance, and nurture relationships with colleagues across campus, especially those involved in the recruitment and retention of students; collaborate with campus partners to promote a transparent culture of enrollment management.
- Encourage, advocate and empower a talented staff and foster an environment of teamwork and excellence in customer service.
- Advance the University’s academic programs in partnership with faculty, deans and administration.
- Possess a strategic and analytical mindset with an ability to execute and implement new and creative ideas and oversee the development and implementation of a new strategic enrollment plan.
- Work collaboratively on a daily basis with other members of the Admissions Senior Leadership Team.
- Exhibit an understanding of financial aid and scholarships and their role in the institution’s overall recruitment strategy; possess a strong working knowledge of Title IV financial aid practices and procedures.
- Utilize data and cutting-edge technology (Slate experience preferred) to inform decision-making and improve overall efficiency of enrollment and marketing processes;
- Partner with athletics in the recruitment of student-athletes.
- Embrace the principles of Palm Beach Atlantic University, and live and articulate the ethos of the Christian mission of the university in a compelling and authentic way.
- Communicate and interact with people from diverse backgrounds, valuing diversity on campus and in the larger community.
- Promote and continue to cultivate a highly relational, customer-service-oriented culture.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate should have significant proven experience in higher education. A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required; and an advanced degree is strongly preferred with at least five to seven years relevant experience in admissions in a university setting.
Candidates for this position should demonstrate the following experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated success in recruiting and enrolling students from diverse populations.
- Experience and knowledge in undergraduate, graduate, evening, online and transfer student recruitment and enrollment.
- Approachability and willingness to create an environment of transparency.
- Strong interpersonal skills for communicating with prospective students, their families, campus colleagues, and partners.
- High-level knowledge of market demographics (especially in South Florida), competition, demands, and trends to help inform recruitment strategy.
- Proactive, creative and flexible spirit valuing accountability and structure.
- Strategic mindset that is informed by analytics and a data savvy approach.
- Ability to enthusiastically and unreservedly embrace and promote the Christian mission of the university.
Founded in 1968, Palm Beach Atlantic University is a private institution with over 3,400 students. An interdenominational Christian institution with over 60 academic undergraduate, graduate and professional programs, PBA encourages students to strengthen their faith through courses and mission trips.
Opportunity, Purpose and Faith are the cornerstones of the academic journey at PBA. Its programs are framed by a Christian worldview and guided by accomplished experts, and delivered in the breathtaking setting of West Palm Beach, Florida. Consistently recognized as a top university in the South, PBA’s graduates launch lives of character, meaning and accomplishment. The Christian worldview that permeates the campus, community and culture adds a unique dimension to the PBA learning experience. From its presence in the academic curriculum, to weekly chapel, to service learning and mission trips, this faith-based foundation shapes the student experience and prepares them with the kind of ethical, principled outlook that today’s employers value.
Palm Beach Atlantic’s offerings are proven and respected by top employers and elite graduate institutions. Its programs, such as the Frederick M. Supper Honors Program, offer distinctive, elevated learning opportunities. In addition, PBA’s six Centers of Excellence deepen students’ knowledge and skills and add dimension to the learning experience through distinctive programming, travel, fellowship, internship and networking opportunities. Finally, through PBA’s unique Workship Program, students are able to improve communities locally, around South Florida or in countries across the globe by building homes for those in need, assisting with natural disaster recovery efforts, tutoring and mentoring youngsters in after school programs and packing meals for families living in underserved communities. To date, PBA students have volunteered 3.3 million hours of service through Workship.
Students attending PBA find it is one of the most fun, energetic and opportunity-rich destinations in the country. And as the top Christian university in Florida, faith shapes everything at PBA; students, faculty and staff find an endless array of opportunities to express their Christian values. Involvement in any of the more than 40 student-run clubs provides the chance to develop important teamwork and leadership skills and generate excitement across campus and make lifelong memories at popular events such as Monday Night Live and The Anchor. The campus also features a variety of student residence facilities, each of which offers its own unique character. Students can join others from their hall to compete for the Sailfish Cup, a four-day competition with 35 events or find daily opportunities to engage in fun activities and events which provide the perfect opportunity to make new friends.
PBA’s two Florida campuses offer the best of both worlds—campus facilities and resources in West Palm Beach and Orlando that are second to none, and a vibrant range of off-campus opportunities afforded by one of the most dynamic and rapidly-growing destinations in the country. The West Palm Beach campus offers some of the finest learning resources and facilities one is likely to find at a private university: state-of-the-art medical simulation labs; an 86,000-square-foot Warren Library featuring 170 computers and 28 study rooms; and the John & Sheila Rinker Sports Center, which was completed in 2017 and is part of PBA’s 78-acre Marshall and Vera Lea Rinker Athletic Complex. The Orlando campus provides modern facilities and a convenient location for students in central Florida looking to earn their undergraduate or graduate degree. The Dean of Admissions will be based on the West Palm Beach campus.
For more information about the university go to https://www.pba.edu/.
Living in West Palm Beach, Florida, residents are surrounded by the unparalleled opportunities of South Florida. In addition to the natural beauty of its location on the Intracoastal Waterway, PBA offers endless professional opportunities, world-class cultural outlets, and exceptional shopping districts just minutes from campus.
One can find outdoor recreation at the Everglades, Lake Trail or MacArthur Beach State Park and more than 50 miles of pristine beaches nearby. Residents can also play a round of golf at any of the area’s more than 160 golf courses, catch the pro sports action of the NFL’s Dolphins, NBA’s Heat, MLB’s Marlins and NHL’s Panthers or take in a concert at the Kravis Center for the Performing Arts. West Palm Beach is also home to an eclectic and appetizing food scene, with cuisines representing everything from the Caribbean and Cuban food to Asian, German and Portuguese. With nearly 20 churches of various denominations located just minutes from the PBA campus, employees will have an outstanding opportunity to see the important role faith plays in the community.
West Palm Beach is famous for SunFest, a huge, weeklong music festival featuring both local and national artists across three stages. This family friendly event offers one of the largest fireworks shows on the East Coast, which closes out the week each year.
West Palm Beach is a city of approximately 100,000 within Palm Beach County; that county has the eleventh-largest school system in the country, with 185 schools. West Palm Beach alone has twenty elementary schools, seven middle schools, and nearly thirty excellent public and private high schools located right in West Palm Beach.
Located along Florida’s Atlantic Ocean coast, West Palm Beach offers appealing weather and year-round access to smooth-sand beaches and some of the nation’s most enticing waterways and is located a short drive to some of Florida’s fabulous cities: Fort Lauderdale is only an hour away; Miami is an hour and a half; Key Largo is two and Orlando is two-and-a-half-hour distance. Palm Beach International Airport (PBI) is located less than three miles from PBA’s campus, and was recently ranked #1 in the U.S. for shortest overall wait times at TSA checkpoints. West Palm Beach is also a stop on the Brightline passenger rail system that connects Miami and Orlando. (See https://www.gobrightline.com/about-us)
Napier Executive Search is assisting Palm Beach Atlantic University in identifying candidates for the Dean of Admissions position.
For more information, or to nominate someone for this role, contact Laura Robinson (email@example.com) or Mary Napier (firstname.lastname@example.org). Interested candidates must submit the following: 1) a letter of interest describing their unique qualifications for the Dean of Admissions, paying specific attention to the roles and duties described in this posting; 2) a résumé chronicling all work experiences, and; 3) a statement of faith indicating how you have or intend to integrate a Christian theistic worldview in your enrollment work (the University values an active Christian faith; each staff member is expected to uphold and exemplify this belief and lifestyle and sign a Christian values statement).
On a separate document from the résumé, candidates should provide the names, contact information, and a brief statement of the professional relationship of at least three professional references. For confidentiality, references will not be contacted without permission. For best consideration, application materials should be submitted electronically to PBA@napiersearch.com by March 3, 2020. The preferred start time is summer, 2020.