Vice President for Enrollment Management
Frostburg State University, a public, comprehensive, four-year university of the University System of Maryland, located on a 260-acre campus in the Appalachian Highlands of Western Maryland, invites applications for the newly-created position of Vice President for Enrollment Management. Reporting to the President, the Vice President for Enrollment Management will be responsible for the University’s strategic enrollment management plan to expand and retain a talented, engaged, and diverse student body by providing leadership to the areas of student recruitment and student success.
Overseeing the areas of Undergraduate Admissions, Financial Aid, Registrar and the Academic Success Network, the Vice President for Enrollment Management will report to President Ronald Nowaczyk and serve as FSU’s senior enrollment officer. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated, dynamic professional who has the experience and is ready to lead FSU’s recruitment and completion efforts to a higher level of prominence and success in today’s complex higher education environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The primary duties and responsibilities for the Vice President for Enrollment Management are as follows:
- Manage all aspects of the recruitment, application, and admissions process for undergraduate freshmen and transfer students;
- Supervise a team consisting of undergraduate admissions, financial aid, registrar and student success and retention to achieve enrollment, retention and student success initiatives;
- Deploy new data-informed and results-oriented enrollment initiatives and find ways to improve results from current enrollment strategies;
- Develop and implement innovative outreach methods, events, and activities to market FSU’s academic programs and student life;
- Maintain broad and in-depth knowledge of best practices, trends, and challenges in student recruitment and retention;
- Build and strengthen working partnerships on- and off-campus to assist with recruitment and retention efforts;
- Assess overall effectiveness in meeting student enrollment and retention goals;
- Develop and implement a strategic enrollment management (SEM) plan that strengthens recruitment of high school graduates to FSU from the region and state;
- Identify and focus on programs of study aligned with the strengths of FSU and regional assets (e.g., adventure sports, energy, natural resource management, etc.);
- Embrace and enhance the diversity of FSU’s student body;
- Build upon the increasing number of transfer students through intentional partnerships with community colleges in the region and state;
- Leverage financial support to maximize student recruitment and success;
- Employ data-informed decision-making and uses predictive analytics;
- Lead a team of motivated admissions professionals that embraces the SEM plan and utilize technology and social media to attract college-age students to FSU;
- Lead and coordinate campus efforts to promote student success from application through graduation;
- Build upon FSU’s success in online program offerings to develop a responsive admissions model tailored to the working adult;
- Work collaboratively with the Provost, Deans and faculty to solidify current program offerings and add additional program offerings, especially at the undergraduate level, including degree completion opportunities;
- Add undergraduate and graduate certificates that meet industry/business needs and can lead to further study toward a degree;
- Position Frostburg State University as a first-choice institution for more students;
- Aggressively pursue prospective students from the growing Hispanic population in Maryland and elsewhere in the nation;
- Improve marketing of the University to prospective students;
- Further deploy newly implemented Target X Salesforce to improve enrollment, yield and retention; and
- Develop separate recruiting plans for adult learners and transfer students.
Qualifications, Skills and Characteristics
The successful candidate will have significant and progressive experience in higher education enrollment management, including knowledge of recruitment, admission, retention and marketing. An advanced degree is required.
In addition, the vice president should have the following skills and characteristics:
- Proven track-record of leading a team successful in meeting or exceeding enrollment and/or retention goals;
- Expertise with data analysis and an appreciation for technology and social media;
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft Campus Solutions software is desired;
- Experience with recruiting and retaining transfer and adult students; and
- Excellent speaking, writing, and interpersonal communication skills with demonstrated ability to interact effectively with a diverse student population.
About Frostburg State University
Founded in 1898, Frostburg State University (FSU) is a comprehensive, regional, largely residential university set on 260-acres in the scenic highlands of Western Maryland. The University is the only four-year public institution in Maryland west of the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area, and serves as the premier educational and cultural center for Western Maryland and surrounding counties in Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
Founded as a normal school for the education of teachers, the institution expanded in keeping with student needs. In 1988, FSU acquired university status and in 2015 granted its first doctoral degrees. FSU has expanded its program offerings beyond teacher education programs to include STEM, health and many professional areas of study, some focused on the region’s physical and recreational assets. The University provides employment for local citizens and contributes to the welfare of local merchants through the purchasing power of students, faculty, and staff, contributing significantly both economically and culturally.
Frostburg State University offers 47 undergraduate majors through its three colleges, and offers graduate degree programs in business, education, biological sciences, computer science, psychology, nursing, and recreation management. As a member of the University System of Maryland (USM), Frostburg actively seeks out opportunities to increase the offerings available to students through collaboration with other institutions in the System. Comprised of 11 universities, a three-site research institute and three regional higher education centers, USM serves more than 111,000 undergraduate students, 44,000 graduate students, and has more than 8,000 full-time faculty.
At Frostburg State University, experiential education is more than a tagline – it is woven into the very fabric of the institution. According to the 2016 National Survey of Student Engagement, 97 percent of FSU seniors participated in at least one High-Impact Practice during their education, and 85 percent participated in two or more.
Frostburg has been recognized for its successful outcomes by several national organizations:
- LendEDU ranked Frostburg #1 among University System of Maryland schools and #113 among all U.S. four-year public colleges and universities studied for lowest average student debt per borrower in its “Student Loan Debt Ranking.”
- MONEY magazine ranked Frostburg one of its 2016 Best Value Colleges.
- The Economist ranked FSU #100 in the U.S. in terms of value added among all four-year non-vocational colleges and universities based on Department of Education College Scorecard data.
- Frostburg was listed #1 among U.S. universities and #3 among all U.S. colleges for the largest percentage of contributions directed toward financial aid in 2016, according to the Council for Aid to Education’s Voluntary Support of Education Survey.
For more about the university, see www.frostburg.edu.
Located in the mountains of Allegany County, Maryland and a little over two hours from Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Maryland, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Frostburg State University is situated in the beautiful Appalachian highlands of Western Maryland.
Frostburg, a Historic Main Street community, is a vibrant small town with a population of about 9,000 and a bustling downtown district. Founded in 1812, Frostburg has maintained a tight sense of community while embracing the cross-cultural interests and entrepreneurial spirit that mark it as a modern college town.
Within walking distance from campus, you’ll find restaurants, cafes, pizza shops, and convenience and specialty stores. Free shuttle buses can take you to nearby malls, grocery stores, and other attractions.
Outside of Frostburg, the Western Maryland region is rich in both history and recreational attractions. Members of the Frostburg State University community enjoy nearby recreational areas, including Rocky Gap, New Germany, and Deep Creek Lake State Parks, which offer camping, boating, swimming, hiking and skiing.
Napier Executive Search is assisting Frostburg State University to search for a Vice President for Enrollment Management. For a confidential conversation, or if you wish to nominate someone for this position, contact Mary Napier at firstname.lastname@example.org or Laura Robinson at email@example.com. If you wish to apply, please send the following: 1) a résumé; 2) a cover letter outlining your specific interest in this opportunity at Frostburg State University; 3) a statement indicating how you would work to create a campus environment that is welcoming, inclusive and increasingly diverse; and, 4) contact information for three professional references by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For assurance of full consideration, please submit materials before June 28, 2018. There is an anticipated start date of late summer 2018. All applications and nominations will be considered confidential and notice will be given before references are contacted.
Frostburg State University welcomes and encourages women, veterans and minorities to apply and seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce.
FSU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Appropriate auxiliary aids and services for qualified individuals with disability will be provided upon request. Please notify us in advance.
Frostburg State University is a constituent institution of the University System of Maryland.
FSU is committed to making all of its programs, services and activities accessible to persons with disabilities. To request accommodation through the ADA Compliance Office call 301.687.4102 or use a Voice Relay Operator at 1.800.735.2258.
Frostburg State University is a smoke-free campus.