Houston Baptist University, (HBU) a private, Baptist university in Houston, Texas, is seeking a Director of Financial Aid. The director will provide direction for the daily operational functions of the financial aid office and will oversee a staff of up to seven professionals. The director will coordinate efforts to promote best practices and ensure regulations are followed for all students, providing information and services to students in a timely manner. In this position, the director will interact with outside agencies to facilitate the student eligibility process and is accountable for ensuring compliance with federal and state regulations.
The director will place a high priority on customer service for both incoming and continuing students. Serving undergraduate, graduate, and online populations, the director will ensure all communications are developed to reach each population efficiently and respectfully. As an Hispanic Serving Institution, Houston Baptist has a Latinx population of 25% of its students. Although it is not a requirement of the position, HBU welcomes bilingual applicants for this role.
A member of the enrollment management leadership team reporting to James Steen, Vice President for Enrollment, the director of financial aid will participate in strategic planning for the division. As a representative of the enrollment division, the director will participate in institutional committee work, including but not limited to: institutional strategic planning committee, administrative systems advisory group, project day one (student success), and the Provost-led academic council.
- Oversee full-service financial aid processing, including but not limited to document collection, budgeting, awarding, FAFSA verification, and loan certification for college related programs;
- Develop, implement and revise departmental policies and procedures to ensure compliance with federal and state laws, regulations and institutional policies related to financial aid and scholarships;
- Hire, train and supervise the financial aid team in the essentials of customer service, student outreach, financial planning and federal and state financial aid compliance;
- Provide leadership, direction and accountability to the department’s staff as they work with students from application to graduation;
- Provide technical training, support and guidance to the financial aid staff as they work with the information technology resources;
- Develop, modify, implement and maintain the application intake and tracking process for proper documentation of all awards for audit trail; maintain fund control records in accordance with funding level limitations; oversee the completion of federal, state, and institutional reports including applications for federal funding and reporting the expenditures of funds allocated, such as the FISAP; coordinate internal reconciliation efforts and report to reviewing entities, such as auditors, program reviewers, and accreditation teams;
- Work with the financial operations offices to ensure accurate and timely exchange of information and awards between school information system; oversee reconciliation process;
- Respond to requests for information from state, federal and other agencies; function as the department’s liaison in the annual financial audits performed at the institution;
- Assist with conducting on and off campus presentations, seminars, and/or workshops for students; present information at various events held at HBU, local high schools and at college fair events;
- Develop, design, revise, and update all publications (website, college catalog, and other media) relating to financial aid, such as financial aid applications, forms used for tracking applications, correspondence forms, and brochures; provide training and materials to staff regarding the financial aid process;
- Facilitate coordination and communication between respective college departments as they relate to the financial aid office’s role in creating a positive educational experience for students; integrate efforts to maximize financial aid’s role in recruiting and retention;
- Counsel and advise students and families regarding financial aid applications, eligibility, opportunities, academic progress, and procedures;
- Maintain, research and submit information regarding budget as needed;
- Maintain current knowledge of college financial aid policies, procedures, and programs; attend trainings and conferences as necessary to keep knowledge current;
- Resolve and/or assist in the resolution of problems and/or complaints and initiate corrective action as appropriate.
To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to successfully perform the duties of this position.
- Possess a minimum of five years of recent financial aid experience at the post-secondary level;
- Experience working with Banner ERP and financial aid modules is preferred; proficiency in Microsoft Office applications is required;
- Ability to meet deadlines and maintain a high level of accuracy and professionalism;
- Demonstrated evidence of customer service orientation;
- Ability to work individually or as a team in a dynamic organization;
- Experience in training, managing, mentoring, and professionally developing a financial aid team capable of extraordinary customer service and accuracy in compliance – with positive strength and energy;
- Relates well with a diverse student population;
- Ability to use tact, diplomacy and judgment in dealing with all customers and has a comfort level with working well under pressure;
- Willingness to work some evenings and week-ends during the academic year;
- Willingness to make a Christian faith statement and support the university’s commitment to a faith based environment.
In addition, the successful candidate will be professional, self-reliant, proactive, enthusiastic, and will make a positive impression on others.
Bachelor’s Degree is required; a Master’s degree is preferred.
Houston Baptist University, Houston Texas:
The mission of Houston Baptist University is to provide a learning experience that instills in students a passion for academic, spiritual and professional excellence as a result of our central confession, “Jesus Christ is Lord.” Mission Statement
Houston Baptist University (HBU) offers an intimate college environment in the heart of one of the most vibrant and diverse cities in the United States: Houston, Texas. Houston Baptist College was created by action of the Baptist General Convention of Texas on November 15, 1960, culminating many years of work and study. The aim of the College founders was the establishment of a Christian College of the highest order in the city of Houston that stressed quality of life as well as quality of learning. In 1973, Houston Baptist College officially became Houston Baptist University following completion of a formal self-study for the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and approval by the Board of Trustees.
Graduate studies began in 1977 with the initiation of the Master of Business Administration and the Master of Science in Nursing degrees, and now extends to include 29 graduate programs. Today, HBU strives to not only develop each student academically, but spiritually, physically and relationally as well. With an average class size of 25, just under 3,800 students (2,700 undergraduate and 1,100 graduate) of HBU receive the personal attention they want and need.
The beautiful 100-acre campus is located just minutes from the city’s thriving downtown district, and the opportunities for jobs, internships, and fun surround it. HBU’s location in the global hub of Houston creates opportunities for students to obtain important hands-on experience. The University has a highly diverse student body, with an ethnic composition similar to that of America’s fourth-largest city. Although HBU is a Christian institution, a number of other world religions are represented within the student body, adding to the institution’s diversity.
True leaders are those who measure success by the number of lives they touch and improve. As part of the mission to graduate such leaders, HBU works hard to provide financial aid opportunities and to address issues of affordability. HBU commits over $40 million in institutional funding to provide numerous academic, talent, leadership, merit, athletic, and alumni scholarships and need-based grants. All forms of federal, state, and outside gift aid, loans and work opportunities are also processed for eligible students.
From its home in the heart of Houston, Texas, one of the nation’s largest and most diverse metropolitan areas, HBU provides a learning experience that instills in students a passion for academic, spiritual and professional excellence. This mission serves as the driving force behind our continued efforts to enrich the total student life experience. By enhancing our campus facilities, strengthening our rigorous liberal arts core curriculum, expanding our graduate program offerings, and competing in NCAA Division I athletics, HBU is uniquely positioned to serve both undergraduate and graduate students seeking an excellent education.
Dr. Robert B. Sloan, President
Napier Executive Search is assisting Houston Baptist University in identifying candidates for the director of financial aid position. The University offers an excellent benefits program for full-time staff, including medical and dental coverage, retirement plans, vacation and life insurance. The University values an active Christian faith; each staff member is expected to uphold and exemplify this belief and lifestyle.
For more information, or to nominate someone for this role, contact Robin Reynders (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mary Napier (email@example.com). Interested candidates must submit the following: 1) a letter of interest describing their unique qualifications for the Director of Financial Aid, paying specific attention to the roles and duties described in this posting; 2) a résumé chronicling all work experiences, and; 3) a statement of Christian faith. On a separate document from the résumé, candidates should provide the names, contact information, and a brief statement of the professional relationship of at least three professional references. For confidentiality, references will not be contacted without permission. For best consideration, application materials should be submitted electronically to HBU@napiersearch.com by January 27, 2020. The preferred start time is spring, 2020.
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Candidates’ submission of an application for employment indicates their acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
Background checks are performed on every new hire and are a requirement for employment.